TL;DR; Always plan your next exam as a tool to learn new things or strengthening the concepts you already know. If your intention is just to pass the exam then this blog might not be very helpful to you.
- What areas are important?
- What Resources to refer?
- How to prepare?
- Caveats, Gotchas and pitfalls
- Exam tips
What areas are important
What resources to refer
See, first of all there can be various types of resources that you can use to learn for exam or learning in general. Here is a small list of categories but it is not limited to:
- Online videos
- Blogs etc.
Each type of resource has its own relevance and importance but for me, somehow books have been the best bet. Here is the list of resources I referred when I was preparing for this exam:
- Title : You don’ t know JS
Resource Type: Book
Author: Kyle Simpson
Resource Type : Book
Author : Glenn Johnson
Details: You’ve to read this book in entirety without doubt. The idea is that, this book gives you a crisp and clean refresher of the entire course curriculum. Consider it like a main course book. You can also get its pdf format from internet. I doubt anyone can clear the exams without reading this book.
Resource Type: e-mail course
Author: Zell Liew
- Title: Measureup practice test
Resource Type: Sample/practice questions
Details: Once you’re done with all the preparation you certainly need to practice multiple choice questions. I did it through measureup practice tests. I bought them as a package while registering for the exams. When you buy it while registering for the exam as a bundle then you get it in a lot cheaper price.
How to prepare?
To practice things and learn the concepts by heart you require discussion. You must involve your friends, colleagues and acquaintances into this learning routine. Best deal is if you can encourage someone else as well to take up this exam and prepare along with you. Pair up with him/her for the entire preparation season. The more you discuss about things, the better imprints you will get into your brain. Other technical people bring new perspective of looking at concepts. Read any topic then discuss it with you friends. Do some sample questions when you are fresh reading a topic. So key points here is:
- Study regularly
- Involve people and friends. Pair up!
- Practice sample questions
Caveats, Gotchas and pitfalls?
Below two features which were part of initial draft of HTML5 have become non-standard. So they might be present in book but makes no sense to read from exam perspective. From historical significance and knowledge stand-point you should definitely know them:
- When you book for exam, look for free shots during the registration process. Just by paying some extra bucks, Microsoft gives you 1+1 attempt for the same exam paper. Same registration has an option to buy measureup practice test as a bundle.
- Exams can be rescheduled if required. So don’t hesitate making a registration of exam well in advance. Check the exam website for complete and up-to-date details.
- Reach the center at least 1 hour in advance. Many a times technical glitches at the center spoils the mood. If you’ve reached center in advance then that gives the test center people some additional time to take corrective measures well in time.
- Reading the questions correctly is most important. Read the question twice if you’re in doubt.
Exam score that you get will remain in the mark-sheet. Knowledge that you obtain out of preparation will remain with you for ever and you will come out with flying colors in your next assignment in office. All the best!